Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Hacking the iPod nano

I hacked together a little Python script that scrapes Atom feeds and transforms them to iPod "contacts" allowing me to read blog posts from my nano. It uses html2text right now but a lot of entries with embedded HTML come out looking pretty weird. I'll post the script once I clean up the text generation.

I managed to get a couple of the vCalendar features working and found out that even though Apple says you need iSync or iCal to use the nano to add TODO items, you can just add standard vTodo objects to a vCalendar stream and it works just fine.

Also, the rdate property is what controls repeating tasks/events - not any of the other ones that purportedly serve the same purpose.

Now it's time to go to bed...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Iain
If you can make it so that songs from compilations group together in the main Library window in iTunes I'll be your best freind.

Iain Lowe said...

Hey Tony,

I'll get right on it...

Anonymous said...

How did you get your vTodo's to work. I can get them to work when I create them manually but when I write a script to automatically take them from outlook it doesn't work. I can open a file that doesn't work copy and paste all the text in an .ics file that does work into the manually created file and I can see it on my nano. Ahhh. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.